Microwave sterilizer bags are an ideal way to sterilize all your baby’s bottles, as well as other feeding accessories. The bags are easy to use and require no special skills. These bags are light weight and compact, making then great for trips.
The following instructions are provided to help you use your microwave bags, and are also often listed on the back of each individual bag. Most sterilizing bags on the market have manufacturer specifications on how to effectively sterilize the bottles and feeding accessories. Follow the manufacturers instructions first. However, if you don’t have instructions you can follow the steps listed below. Please be aware you may need to make some little adjustments to the method to suit the type of microwave sterilizer bag you have.
1. Before you place a bottle or any other item to be sterilized into a microwave sterilizing bag it is best that you wash all parts of the bottle with soapy warm and rinse it to get rid of all the impurities.
2. Open the microwave sterilizer bag and add 100 ml of water into the bottom. The water is vital because when it is heated in the microwave it creates steam at 100 degrees Celsius which kills bacteria and sterilizes the bottle. The amount of water you put in may vary depending on the type of bag and the manufacturers’ specifications. However, around 60 to 100ml of water is ideal. Do not use less than 60 ml of water as the bag may over heat and become warped.
3. If you have a bottle rack put it in the microwave to help keep the bag upright.
4. Load the bag with bottles, nipples, breast pump equipment or other feeding accessories into the bag, but do not over load. Note: do not include any items made of metal.
5. Seal the microwave sterilizer bag, and make sure the seal is secure all the way along. To sterilize effectively there must be a tight seal to keep the steam in. If you have over filled the bag there is a chance that the seal might pop open. An open bag will not sterilize the items, so take some items out and make sure it is sealed properly. Once the first batch is sterilized simply repeat the process for other items.
6. Place the bag into the microwave oven and close the door.
7. Set the microwave to High and set the timer for 3 minutes, and turn on. Three minutes is the length of time needed to sterilize a baby bottle for a typical 800 to 1100W microwave oven. Other microwaves may need a longer or shorter time depending on its power. Microwaves ovens over 1100W need only 1.5 minutes (90 seconds) and microwaves between 500 and 750W need 5 minutes. Most microwave sterilizer bags on the market require two to six minutes depending on microwave power – refer to the manufacturers specifications. CAUTION – Do not heat for more than the recommended time.
8. If your microwave does not have a turntable, then rotate the bag half way through the allocated time.
9. After the allocated time, you should leave the bag in the microwave for at least 1 minute to allow it to cool down before removing it.
10. Open the microwave, and using the Easy Pour Grip, remove the sterilizer bag. CAUTION – Use care when removing the bag from the microwave oven, hot water and steam are inside. Let the bag cool down for a further minute if required.
11. Holding the Easy Pour Grip tip the bag down into a sink and pour out any excess water using the notch opening on the side of the bag. CAUTION – Use care when pouring out the excess water from the bag, hot water and steam are inside.
12. Open the bag releasing the seal and remove the contents. CAUTION – hot steam may still escape when bag is opened.
The steps above outline the most efficient way in which you can sterilize your baby’s bottles fast with an Microwave Sterilizer bag. These bags are intended for use only with microwave safe plastics. Note that steam cleaning breast tubing may cause clouding or dis-colouration (which does not affect its performance). Also do not place the bag on metallic grills that come with some microwaves. It is always recommended that you follow the guidelines for use of your microwave oven. Michael Kors the tote handbag